Skip to main content
VAT practical manual 2021.

Frequently asked questions raised in this chapter

1. Does a farmer who is in the special regime for agriculture, livestock and fishing have an obligation to invoice?

Generally speaking, no. Farmers do not have to issue billing documents, they only have to sign the receipts issued by the recipient of their operations. However, an invoice must be issued in all cases for property deliveries.

2. A company manufactures two different products. Can it use consecutive numbering and a series for each product?

Yes, the company can establish different series of invoices, especially, but not exclusively, when there are several billing centers.

3. Are restaurants authorized to issue simplified invoices, in general?

Two situations can occur:

  • If they are taxed under the simplified regime in VAT they are exempt from the obligation to invoice, except for the transfers of fixed assets.

  • In other cases, restaurants can issue simplified invoices (with the content of article 7.1 of the Billing Regulations), without the need to request prior authorization, when their amount does not exceed 3,000 euros, VAT included.

However, when the recipient is a businessman or professional or when required to exercise a right of a tax nature, the simplified invoice must additionally include the data referred to in article 7.2 of the Billing Regulations.

4. How long should the purchase invoice for a building be kept?

  1. If it begins to be used the same year of acquisition, must be kept for 14 years: the year of purchase, the following 9 years as it is the regularization period and the following 4.

  2. If it begins to be used in years after the acquisition, it must be taken into account that the regularization period begins in the year of use and that the years in which the invoices must be kept must be increased.

5. Should each invoice be recorded separately in the Record Book of invoices received?

No, a summary entry can be made of the invoices received on the same date, provided that they come from a single supplier, the amount of each invoice does not exceed 500 euros, VAT excluded, and that the combined amount does not exceed 6,000 euros, VAT excluded. including.

6. A taxable person who is obliged to SII during the 2020 financial year, what billing records must he send through the Electronic Headquarters of the Tax Agency?

You must send all the billing records of the operations carried out since the beginning of the 2020 financial year, taking into account that the period for sending the information prior to inclusion in the SII will be from the date of inclusion until the end of the year. exercise.

7. Which taxpayers must keep the VAT Record Books through the Tax Agency's electronic headquarters?

This system of keeping the Record Books, known as Immediate Supply of Information, is mandatory for taxpayers who have a monthly VAT settlement period:

  • Registered with REDEME (Monthly VAT Return Registry)

  • Large Companies for VAT purposes (taxable persons with a volume of operations for VAT purposes in the immediately preceding calendar year exceeding €6,010,121.04)

  • VAT Groups

On a voluntary basis, those taxpayers who, not being obliged, decide to take advantage of it, may also keep the Record Books through the Electronic Headquarters. To do so, they may exercise this option in the month of November prior to the beginning of the calendar year in which it must take effect or at the time of submitting the declaration of commencement of the activity, taking effect in the current calendar year.

The exercise of this voluntary option for the 2017 financial year implied the obligation to self-assess VAT monthly.

For settlement periods starting in 2018, those taxpayers who have voluntarily opted for the SII will maintain their quarterly settlement period.

8. A taxable person of VAT whose operations are exclusively exempt in accordance with the provisions of article 20 of the Tax Law and has a volume of operations for VAT purposes in the immediately preceding calendar year greater than €6,010,121.04, should you keep your record books through the Electronic Headquarters of the Tax Agency?

Yes, you are required to keep your record books through the Tax Agency's electronic headquarters. (Consultation of the General Directorate of Taxes V1588-17).

Although it will not be necessary to keep a record book of issued invoices when you do not have the obligation to issue an invoice for all your operations, in accordance with the provisions of the Regulations that regulate billing obligations, you do have the obligation. to keep the record book of invoices received, in general, regardless of whether the activity carried out is totally exempt from Tax and without the right to deduct the fees incurred in the acquisition of goods and services for said activity.