Cl@ve is a system aimed at unifying and simplifying the citizens' electronic access to public services. Its main goal is for the citizens to identify themselves before the Administration via agreed codes (username plus password), without having to remember various codes to access different services.
This is a common platform for the identification, authentication and electronic signature of the citizen before government bodies integrated into Cl@ve and the remaining ones that are adhered to.
Cl@ve allows electronic administration applications to define the desired level of quality assurance of authentication, on the basis of the data they process and the security classification following the recommendations of the National Security Plan. The user can then choose the identifier he/she wishes to use from among those available for the level of assurance required for the application.
Cl@ve provides for the use of identification systems based on private codes (username-and-password systems) and electronic certificates (including the Electronic ID).
With regard to private codes, Cl@ve permits two possibilities of use:
- Occasional Cl@ve or Cl@ve PIN: validity password system very limited in time, aimed at users who access services sporadically, corresponding to the Tax Agency's initial PIN24-hour system.
- Permanent Cl@ve (Personal Cl@ve): validity password system long-lasting in time, but not unlimited, aimed at habitual users. It is the access system via username and password, reinforced with one-time-use codes sent via SMS, to the services of Your Social Security.
In order to use these passwords, citizens must register previously in the system, providing the necessary personal data.
Additionally, Cl@ve is prepared to incorporate in the future the identification mechanisms of other European Union countries as they are gradually integrated into the transfrontier system of examination of electronic identities provided for in the European legislation.
In the "Cl@ve PIN" section of the Tax Agency website, you can consult all the information relating to the system through the "Cl@ve Portal" icon.
It is a way of carrying out procedures via Internet with a limited validity in time and that can be renewed every time it is needed. This electronic identification system is based on the use of a code chosen by the user and a PIN sent via SMS.
It is mandatory to register previously in the system.
Advantages it offers:
- It is very simple, it is not necessary to remember a password permanently.
- Its validity is limited in time, which makes it more secure.
The previous system PIN24H is integrated into the Cl@ve PIN system.It is an identification system for individual persons which enables them to carry out procedures in the Tax Agency's Electronic Office. It has a limited time period, since it can be used as many times as you wish until it has expired. A 10-minute period cannot be exceeded from the moment PIN is requested until it is used. If this time is exceeded, the PIN expires and it is necessary to request another one. The PIN obtained is valid for one single work session in the E-Office of the Spanish Tax Agency in which you will be able to carry out several procedures while the session remains open - i.e. while you have the web browser open -, or unless it remains inactive for 60 minutes.
The Tax Agency website indicates the procedures that allow it to be used.
See the explanatory video New Cl@ve PIN identification and authentication system available at https://sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es/Sede/en_gb/videos.html
It is necessary to register in the system. This can be done via one of the following options:
- At https://sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es/Sede/en_gb/procedimientoini/GC27.shtml by going to the "All procedures" menu, and then to Other services/Cl@ve Register
Any of the methods available for registration can then be selected:
Using the CSV (Secure Verification Code) that appears in the letter of invitation to the system that you have received from the Tax Agency. If none has been received, a link allows you to ask for one. To request the sending of the invitation letter, you will be sent the DNI or NIE with the validity or file date, respectively. In a few days, the letter with the CSV is received at the tax address, which allows the system to register.
By CertificateOr Electronic DNI.
By video call, the citizen will request to be attended by a video call from an operator of the Tax Agency who, after checking the taxpayer's identity, will register in Cl@ve.
Going in person to one of the Tax Agency offices, or the offices accredited in the Cl@ve system for the rest of the Administration, with a prior appointment.
You must provide the DNI or NIE, with the validity or issue date, respectively, provide your national or foreign mobile phone number and an email address.
Foreign citizens must certify their identity by presenting the documentation issued by the competent authorities of their home country or of origin: passport or travel document.
To ensure strict control by the user of the identification methods used in the system, the on-site registration will not be allowed by one person representing another.
A document is generated with the conditions of registration in the system for your acceptance (and the code to activate the password for organisms that use Permanent Cl@ve).
See the explanatory video Register in the Cl@ve system with Secure Verification Code available at https://sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es/Sede/en_gb/videos.html
After registering (once in any of the accredited websites), you can now use the Cl@ve PIN system for the procedures with the Tax Agency online; You can access with Cl@ve PIN in the procedures that have this type of identification. To do this, obtain a PIN directly from the procedure itself, either from the browser itself or from the Cl@ve PIN application available for Android or IOS.
Once you have selected Cl@ve PIN as a form of identification:
- Provide your DNI or NIE with its validity date (valid until: DD/mm/yyyy) and the password chosen at that time. 4
- You will receive an SMS to your mobile featuring a 3-character PIN, or in the app itself, with a limited validity period.
You can use it whenever you need it at www.sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es, by clicking on the banner "Cl@ve PIN" to request a new PIN.
See the explanatory video Access and identification with Cl@ve PIN (obtainment of Cl@ve PIN) available at https://sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es/Sede/en_gb/videos.html
The Cl@ve PIN identification system allows individuals to carry out procedures with the Tax Agency online. It is valid for a fixed period of time, as it can be used as many times as you like as long as it has not expired.
A 10-minute period cannot be exceeded from the moment PIN is requested until it is used. If this time is exceeded, the PIN expires and it is necessary to request another one.
The PIN obtained will be valid for a single working session at the Tax Agency's E-Office, where several procedures can be carried out while the session is not closed (the browser has not been closed) or left inactive for 60 minutes.
The PIN can be requested whenever it is needed. The procedures available at www.sede.agenciatributaria.gob.es show the Cl@ve PIN icon and include:
Those related to the Income Tax return
- Viewing the tax details online from 5 April 2017.
- Modifying the draft tax return generated beforehand online, from 5 April to 30 June 2017.
- Confirming the draft tax return with refund, negative or to be paid by direct debit (until 26 of June) and without direct debit (charged to account, until 30 June) and waiving the refund, from 5 April to 30 June 2017.
- Confirming the draft tax return with payment to be made recognising debt (if it is impossible to pay, with a request for delayed payment or request for compensation).
- Confirming the draft tax return waiving the refund.
- Downloading and transferring tax and personal details automatically to fill in the tax return with the Renta WEB program.
- The possibility of filing the Income Tax and Wealth Tax returns.
- Arranging, consulting, amending and cancelling appointments concerning Income Tax from 4 May to 29 June 2017 online.
- Check the status of your refund.
- Change the bank account for the refund.
- Present self-assessments and tax returns for information purposes.
- Obtain tax certificates.
- Change of address for tax purposes.
- Requesting the deferral/payment by installments of debts
- Access to "My records" and checking the processing status of the records
- Consulting debts
In short, it allows all the options of the Tax Agency's E-Office to be used for taxpayers who are natural persons for whom the regulations allow the use of an advanced electronic signature.
Yes it is. Is recommended, due to its greater convenience, to use the Cl@ve PIN application for mobile devices: it is available for free download. Look for “Cl@ve PIN” in the corresponding App Store for your Android or IOS device and download the application. The Tax Agency app also includes direct access to the option of obtaining a Cl@ve PIN.
If the result of your self-assessment is to pay, you have two options:
- If you do not direct-debit the payment: you can do so via the Cl@ve PIN payment gateway. You will connect with the E-Office and send your self-assessment without an advanced electronic signature by entering your ID number + CRN + Access code (Code+PIN).
- If you direct-debit the payment: You will connect with the E-Office, complete the form, enter your IBAN code and send your self-assessment by entering your ID number + Access code (Code +PIN).
The PIN will be 3 alphanumeric characters long and is generated by the Tax Agency.
The PIN plus the code provided by the taxpayer to request it form the access code making it possible to carry out the procedures by remote data transfer.
If a taxpayer receives a Cl@ve PIN code that they have not requested, somebody may be attempting to impersonate them. There is no cause for concern, because the PIN is only sent to the registered mobile number, meaning that you will be the only one who can enter the Tax Agency e-office in your name.
If the situation is repeated, he must get in touch with the Tax Agency to inform it of the anomaly.
- Extending the electronic procedure to all the taxpayers with difficulties in managing electronic certificates.
- Extending electronic processing to mobile devices that do not allow electronic signing with electronic certificates.
- Simplicity for users: There is no need to remember a permanent password. The probability of forgetting increases with lesser frequency of transactions, as happens in the relations with the Public Administrations in general and with the Tax Agency in particular, which necessitates renewing it every time is needed. It is a simple access code of 7 alphanumeric positions (Access code +PIN).
- It is a system which offers greater guarantees when dealing with other more basic systems such as those based on username and password. These guarantees are achieved by using an authentication system based on two steps which introduces the mobile phone as the second factor of authentication. These types of authentication systems based on two steps are being adopted by other electronic services, such as electronic payment, social networks, etc. Therefore, not only is it based on the strength and secrecy of a PIN, but it also requires having a mobile phone, an ID number and a personal code.
- A more secure system, because in contrast with password systems, the expiry of passwords is forced, bringing us close to a system of one-time-use passwords. It avoids the theft of passwords by cybercriminals, since there is no need to store the PIN during a long period.
- Possibility of being used by other bodies of the Public Administrations.
- This system enlarges the group of taxpayers who can obtain the product of the draft/data of Personal Income Tax online, since a group of taxpayers are excluded from the RENØ or reference number service for reasons of security (among others, de facto separations ).
- In addition, it can be used in multiple services of the Tax Agency, not being limited exclusively to Personal Income Tax, as happens with the reference of the draft.
- Taxpayers will be able to carry out the same administrative steps as they have been able to carry out with the Reference Number (RENØ) in previous years
- You can make the deposit using the Cl@ve PIN code, directly without the need for direct debit , as it is considered a secure system for using the payment gateway with the collaborating entities.
It is a type of identification that allows access to certain Administration electronic services through an identifier (Spanish National ID or Foreign National ID of the user) and a password that must be guarded by the citizen. The password's validity is long-lasting in time, but not unlimited, aimed at habitual users.
To start to use permanent Cl@ve it is necessary to previously activate the user, process in which the access password is set.
For the user activation you need:
The user code (Spanish National ID or Foreign National ID).
- The email address is used as additional contrast data.
The activation code that is delivered when registering on the system.